Monday, September 12, 2011

Dana, W Armitage Ave & N Whipple St, Chicago, IL

Dana rides a red Schwinn Traveler III that she got a Working Bikes.


Tell me more about your bike and, and where you got it? I ride a red Schwinn Traveler III, it took a while to find a step-through that was tall enough for me. I got it at Working Bikes 7 or 8 years ago, and last year I had it rebuilt by the folks at the great bike shop on my corner, Smart Bike Parts.
Where are you going?  I'm going home.  My friend Emily and I just had dinner at Irazu, and we're on our way back to my apartment to finish our bottle of wine on the porch.

What are you wearing? I'm wearing J. Crew sundress and a pair of Danskos they don't make anymore. After I wore my first pair out, I tracked them down from some wholesale/overstock website.  And a helmet!
Why ride?  Riding a bike is one of life's simple but great pleasures.  And there's the added bonus that it's the easiest, fastest, most cost-effective way to get around.
Favorite ride?  Late at night or early in the morning, any route is a hundred times better when there's no traffic.  I have a soft spot for Grand west of Western, and I love winding through the side streets in Bucktown or Ravenswood Manor on a summer night. 
While riding you …?  Try to keep an eye on the parked cars.  I have no faith that drivers will look before they open their doors.  And the way you have to navigate traffic on a bike makes me feel like I'm playing a video game, except I'm the character in it.
How can Chicago improve bike infrastructure or make Chicago more bike friendly? Can it be done?  There needs to be an attitude shift, more awareness of and respect for cyclists, and less cars.  Biking is the best way to get around, but it's not the safest.  Infrastructure-wise, the protected bike lane on Kinzie has made my morning commute so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment