Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Davey, N Lincoln Ave & N Leavitt St, Chicago, IL

Davey rides a Raleigh Technium converted it into a fixed gear

Tell me more about your bike and where you got it.  I ride a Raleigh Technium. I converted it into a fixed gear a few years ago after I an ex boyfriend of mine gave it to me. It was his father's bike and he was worried it was to flimsy to hold up to in Cleveland's harsh winters and tire hungry potholes. In exchange I built him a chunky tired franken-bike, which was quickly stolen from his porch when he forgot to lock it up. 
What are you wearing?  I am wearing a pair of Levis 511's, a button down from American Apparel, a pair of FLY London shoes, and leather suspenders by Wrath Arcane. My pal Dana used to design clothing for them, and she and her husband gave them to me as a gift when I officiated their wedding in September. 
Where are you going?  I am on my way home from a photo shoot for the bar I work at. I thought I should have my look together for the occasion.  
Why ride?  I ride for a lot of reasons,
1. It's basically the only exercise I really get most of the time.
2. I don't own a car, and I kind of hate taking public transit if i don't have to. It's mostly the waiting and herding parts that I don't like.
3. Riding can be kind of meditative, especially late at night. 
Favorite ride?  In the city, I like my daily commute a lot, which is just a 20 minute ride down Damen to Montrose. It's got well defined bike lanes, the traffic's not too bad most of the time.  
While riding you...?  While riding I am just working out ideas for things in my head, making lists. Lots of thinking. And dodging obstacles of course.
How can Chicago improve bike infrastructure or make Chicago more bike friendly?  I think Chicago is pretty bike friendly, but like many people, I think the biggest issue is the lack of education within both the driving community and the biking community. I think that if everyone knew the rules, and followed them at least as well as they do other laws there would be a lot less hostility bouncing around, I mean shit still happens and people will still break laws but hopefully the level of respect given to riders would be a lot higher. Maybe. 

Check out Davey's really cool artwork here: www.Davey-k.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment