Monday, February 13, 2012

Michele, N Milwaukee Ave & W Augusta Blvd, Chicago, IL

Get recycled bike parts jewelry like Michele's necklace here:  http://www.recycledacc.com


What are you wearing?
My red winter coat. I'm an identical twin, and when we were little, my mother, an
artist, used to dress me in red and my sister in blue because I looked better in red
and my sister in blue. But, for years I wore purple. Then, when I was buying this
coat, I tried on a purple coat and then this red one. And, y'know, I looked better in
the red. Mom was right!

Tell me about your bike, and where you got it?  This is my errand bike. I’ve had it a long time, and I'm not sure what it is or where I got it, but I love the baskets. I lock my lock to the baskets through my bag handles.

Where are you going?  I love this secret path over the expressway. It's a shortcut between Milwaukee Avenue and Elston available only to bicycles and pedestrians – one of the many
benefits of cycling in Chicago instead of driving!

Why ride?
  Freedom! Relaxation. Sanity!  No parking tickets or hassles.

Favorite ride?  I enjoy pace line group rides. For pace lines or distance rides, I ride my other bike.  When the group is working together as a group, the synergy is magical.

While riding you …?  I collect smiles. I smile at the people I pass and try to get them to smile back at me.

How can Chicago improve bike infrastructure or make Chicago more bike friendly?  Bikes on Metra trains and CTA buses are a great innovation. They've saved me from
my stubbornness a number of times!

And other cool, funny tips or stories?  A Frenchman asked me out on a date. The best way for me to get to the restaurant was by bike, so I biked for the first time in heels. When we were leaving the restaurant and he realized I had biked there, he asked, surprised, "You biked in heels?" And, then, added approvingly, "Very French!" Since then, I've found that both men and women are impressed, but I'll let you in on a secret: it's not difficult to bike in heels. Just put on your heels, get on the bike, and pedal!

8 comments:

  1. "while riding I collect smiles." What a wonderful turn of phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I aspire to be a smile collector now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute ensemble and personality to match!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easier to bike in heels than walk in them. "Very French" j'adore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha, you're sooo adorable, you're a natural smile collector!

    I find riding my bicycle a great way to collect smiles. A happy person on a bicycle can easily bring smiles to passersby. I think it takes people back to childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In that red, she's the perfect Valentine for Valentine's Day. Je t'aime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you have enough smiles collected, I think you should release them like 100 red ballons and then advocate for world peace! We could call it the Red Bike Smile movement.
    May your smile collection be large, she who rides red bike with wind in hair and heels on feet.

    ReplyDelete