Monday, January 30, 2012

Veronica, 1100 block of N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL


Veronica rides a single speed Cannondale Capo named Ninja that she I got at Kozy's Cycler

I am totally obsessed with Veronica's Loeffler Randall rain booties.


What are you wearing:
Loeffler Randall rain booties, the best shoes ever for biking in Chicago's gray months. Unlike a lot of boots, they're slim enough to fit easily into toe cages and they're made of rubber so street grime isn't an issue. I picked up these tights last time I was in NYC at Uniqlo. They're part of the brand's Heattech line and are super warm without being thick. I'm mad I only bought one pair. Uniqlo can't come to Chicago soon enough! In the winter when I'm not biking, I'm walking. I need a coat that I won't overheat or feel constricted in. This one is from Nau and it's the closest you'll find to a sleek version of the default puffy parka. It's micro down so there's no waddling around looking like Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. The dress was a gift (but it's from Anthropologie), and my helmet is a Bern

Make/model color of your bike, and where you got it?
A single speed Cannondale Capo that I got at Kozy Cyclery a few years ago. I call him Ninja. He's very light and fast, an ideal city bike. Unfortunately, he's not the ideal type of bike for this time of year, but we've had such an abnormally warm winter that I decided to just say screw it and ride unless there's snow on the ground. 
Where are you going?
I'm going to work in River North.
Why ride?
I ride because I'm impatient. Why wait at a bus stop for 20 minutes to go two miles when you can hop on your bike and be there in 10 minutes? It's efficient. I hate wasting time. And it's a great way to see the city. If you're not out walking, running or riding, you're missing out on discovering all the hidden secrets of the city. 
Favorite ride?I love the West Loop/Fulton Market area. It's quiet but distinctively urban and every time I ride through I discover a new interesting building or tucked away business I'd never noticed before. The downside is the streets are pretty chewed up. I got three flats in a month riding around back there. 
While riding you…?Make to-do lists in my head and enjoy the scenery. 

How can Chicago improve bike infrastructure or make Chicago more bike friendly?
I think Chicago is an extremely bike friendly city, but the roads themselves could do with more maintenance. No one likes riding on pothole and loose gravel covered streets. There should also be more bike racks and a better public bike share program. Anyone in any area of the city should be able to walk out of a train station and leave on a share bike. 
And other cool, funny tips, shout outs or stories?
Bike in heels often, wear a helmet always. People need to get over their "I'm-not-wearing-a-helmet" crap. This is the third largest city in the U.S., shut up and put it on. No one looks good in them, let's look bad in them together. 

**** Check out Veronica's super cool music blog creamteam.tv

3 comments:

  1. regarding helmets, YES! "let's look bad in them together." ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is the third largest city in the U.S., shut up and put it on."

    I know big cities cause brain damage, but I don't think your solution is addressing the problem.

    ReplyDelete