Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Regina, S Halsted St & W 21st Pl, Chicago, IL

Regina rides a rebuilt Dawes from the 80's.  The frame is from Working Bikes.


I photographed Gina for a story about her and her friend Keri’s cocktail blog Through the Liquor Glass.    Of course when I found out she rode her bike to the photo shoot, I just had to take a Bike Fancy picture.
 
Tell me more about your bike, and where you got it. My bike is a Dawes possibly from the 1980's. The frame is from
Working Bikes. A friend and I fixed it up last Summer with new components.
Where are you going? To work, in the Gold Coast.

What are you wearing? Worishofer sandals, Carin Wester dress from Urban and a fair trade bag from Ecuador
Why ride? It's the only thing I've done consistently in terms of transportation and exercise for the last seven years. Even in the dead of Winter, I'd rather ride.
Favorite ride? Diagonal streets and those with more room
While riding you …? Try to be courteous. There is a natural animosity between cars and bikes so this is not always possible. A certain amount of aggressiveness is innate in sharing the road.
How can Chicago improve bike infrastructure or make Chicago more bike friendly? Chicago's a great city to ride because it's flat and easy to navigate. Driver acceptance of bikes on the road is key. Cars: don't get frustrated if a bike momentarily slows you down and stay off your cell phone. Bikers: anticipate, take out the head phones and wear a helmet:)

2 comments:

  1. Get well quickly, Gina! I hope you're able to hop back on your bicycle again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Even in the dead of Winter, I'd rather ride."
    You rock! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete